The recent past has seen more and more people realize the advantage of drinking Alkaline Water. From celebrities to fitness instructors and nutritionists the benefits of this simple elixir have been endorsed time & again across the world
So, if you haven’t yet taken the plunge and don’t want to miss out then let me show you the DIY way of making Alkaline Water. Yes! no appliances, no equipment just a few quick steps to formulate this simple yet effective drink for good health
Read on to find out how…
Quick Recap of Alkaline Water & its Benefits
Alkaline Water is water with a higher pH level (a measure of how acidic or alkaline a substance is on a scale of 0 to 14). While normal drinking water is usually neutral at a pH level of 7, Alkaline Water has a pH of 8.5 and above thereby preventing acidosis in the human body. Although our body does have its own internal system for regulating the pH level, our diet and lifestyle cause an acid overload in our body.
Drinking Alkaline Water daily can help neutralize acids to maintain and restore the body’s pH balance. While the full list of health benefits are many, the few key ones are –
- Helps reduce acid reflux – with a pH of 8.8 it stops the enzyme pepsin which is linked with acid reflux disease.
- Contains antioxidants – these prevent the growth of free radicals which cause damage to cells and DNA. Free radicals are the culprits for speeding up the ageing process.
- Promotes bone health – Alkaline water is rich in minerals such as magnesium, calcium and potassium which are important for maintaining healthy bones.
- Super hydrating – Smaller water molecules in naturally alkalized water are absorbed more easily into the cells helping the body to re-hydrate more quickly.
Getting Access of Alkaline Water at Home
Natural Alkaline Water (the best form) occurs when water passes over rocks and picks up minerals, thus increasing its pH level. These minerals are found in springs and river streams. However, getting access, timely and proximate to such natural sources is not possible for most of us. So, Alkaline Water can be made in one of the few ways ….
- Natural filtration method and being treated with the right minerals. A method that’s followed by AOX and endorsed by health professionals. Read FAQs for more info
- Artificially thru the process of electrolysis (by Ionizers) by using electricity to separate molecules that are more acidic from those that are more alkaline.
- Using common ingredients found in most kitchens or pantries to make your own Alkaline Water.
While the first two options involve buying a Water Machine. Let’s deep dive to explore Option 3…make your own at home!
DIY Alkaline Water
Here are few ways to self-make and enjoy a jug of homemade Alkaline Water for yourself and your loved ones. Simple & Easy….
1. Using Lemons
While acidic in nature this fruit turns alkaline when added to water and ingested
- Cut up one whole lemon into slices or wedges
- Add the slices without squeezing the juice out into a pitcher filled with water (2 liters)
- Cover and let it sit for 8-12 hrs at room temperature
Suggested: Add a tablespoon of Himalayan pink salt to mineralize your water or include a few slices of cucumbers to make a refreshing drink on a hot day.
2. Using Baking soda
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda to 4 liters of water
- Stir till completely dissolved
Note that baking soda is high in sodium, so if you are on a special low sodium diet then try other methods.
3. Add pH Drops
- You can purchase pH drops at health food stores or online and they contain potent, concentrated alkaline minerals
- Follow directions on the specific pH bottle to determine how many drops you should put
Pros & Cons of making your own Alkaline Water
While it is cheaper to make your own alkaline water there may be risks involved.
Making sure that the right amount of ingredients are used to make Alkaline Water is important. Water that is very high in pH can cause digestive malfunction, dehydration at cellular level and may exert pressure to the kidneys to neutralize pH level, among others.
Another setback may be the improper storage of homemade alkaline water. Improper or prolonged storage may turn the water rancid thus causing other health related problems.
Whether you would like to take the plunge and join in the bandwagon of Alkaline Water drinkers or not, the most important thing is to stay hydrated. However, if drinking properly filtered water treated with the right minerals gives you an extra boost, then why not try one today from a reputable brand!